24 November 2009

Some Updates and Some Ranting

I've updated my script. Now that I'm on a smaller screen (people who say you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p have never gone from a 1920x1200 to a 1280x720 display) having rings with a (maximum) 400 pixel radius seems a bit excessive, so I've fine-tuned it to be proportional to the display. You can download the file by following this link. I love MobileMe iDisk sharing, it's so simple.

The other update is that I've ordered my new iMac, but unfortunately I couldn't fit the i7 iMac into my budget so I've had to go with the Core 2 Duo iMac with the upgraded 4850 video card. Seeing as how the video card was the problem in my old iMac and not the processor I think I'll be satisfied. For now, anyway. Although it hasn't shipped yet, so I think I'd still have time to cancel it and go for the i7 if I really wanted, which I do, but can't afford until later.

Screw it, I'll wait. Shipping and delivery would take a month anyway, I might as well wait a few more days so I can get the model I really want.

Steve's iPhone broke on the 12th. I set up a replacement via Applecare on the 13th. We got his replacement on the 16th. I sent out his old one later that night. Apple still hasn't received it, and FedEx still hasn't recognized that I sent it out. Right now it's considered "lost in the mail" and I may have to end up paying a 300$ late fee because of it. I think I'll call Apple tomorrow to try to explain the current situation, in hopes that I don't get nailed with an unnecessary fee.

I ordered some new pyjamas in September. They got to me in mid-October. They were too big so I returned them and requested a smaller size (5$ shipping). I still haven't received the replacement ones yet, and it's been almost a month. I have a feeling I'll have to call them too.

It doesn't help that Timmins seems to have the worst shipping times in the world. When I ordered Snow Leopard back in August it took almost a month for it to get here. By that time I'd already downloaded and installed it, so now it's more ornamental than anything, although technically it's legal now.

I hate how credit cards take an annoyingly long time to update themselves. I usually have to wait 3 days after any transaction to find out how much my balance is. Right now it's saying I have a "balance owing" of about -100$, which means I should have 100$ in credit. Then right besides it says "available credit" as -75$, which technically means I'm over my limit by 75$. I have no idea how they managed to work out that they owe me money and I owe them money at the same time, but it can get really confusing.

Schoolwork seems to be piling up more and more every day. It doesn't help that teachers give out work faster than we can get it done. Literally. We need to have access to the lab to be able to do our work but the lab has such limited hours that we can't get it done unless we spend half a day waiting at the school between our last class and the last class to use the room to finally finish up. Worse still is the ambiguous work which sets a vague goal, gives no instructions on how to get to it, and expects us to figure it out. I don't really see how that's "preparing us for the real world, where [our] boss might give us a task without telling us how to do it", since employers are kind of required to make sure the employees have the proper training to do any task assigned to them.

Still no job. Nobody's really hiring, and I refuse to work fast food, so it seems I'll be out of a job for a while. I think next semester I'll apply to be work in the lab at school, since you pretty much make your own hours and get to do your homework while getting paid. Of course, there's the downside that you have to help other people do their homework if they ask, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Naps are nice. I seem to be taking a few a week, nowadays. They usually last a full sleep cycle (about 3-4 hours), but they're worth it. I especially prefer it over not napping. Not napping kind of sucks if you're tired. Even going to bed early doesn't quite seem to cut it. Considering most animals (including our ancestors) sleep a bit a night and a bit during the day I don't really see a problem with doing the same. It's what we're designed to do.

I think that's enough for one post.

No comments: